Overview of the EAL/D Progressions: Ensuring Inclusive and Rigorous Engagement Within the Australian Curriculum for Teachers New to EAL/D
5th May, 2020 @ 9:00 am
05/05/2020 - 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
This one-day workshop will assist teachers in responding to the Australian Curriculum’s EAL/D Progressions and supporting materials as they plan for the engagement of EAL/D students within their classroom. Topics covered include:
- a general overview of language development in school-age students
- overview and use of the Australian Curriculum’s EAL/D Progressions in determining language proficiency and monitoring language learning (with a focus on the Writing mode for the purposes of the session)
- use of the Australian Curriculum’s EAL/D resources to support planning for effective and inclusive practice.
Participants are requested to bring:
- two de-identified writing samples (the same task) reflecting a genre or writing task they would commonly teach. Where possible, the samples would be provided by EAL/D students, with one below standard and one at or above. If teachers wish to bring a digital copy, please note that they must be able to annotate the piece of writing (e.g. consider if able to use a highlighting tool)
- a copy or draft of a lesson plan with a writing focus (paper or digital).
*Please note neither document will be shared with others in attendance unless participants do so voluntarily.
Classroom teachers new to teaching or with minimal experience teaching EAL/D students.
There is no on-site parking available. For parking options please refer to the parking map. Tram stop #1 Greenhill Road is a 6-minute walk away.
For registration enquiries please contact Rae Dawkins.