Catalysts for Pedagogical Improvement – General Capability Critical & Creative Thinking & National Literacy & Numeracy Learning Progressions via Zoom
19th August, 2020 @ 10:00 am
19/08/2020 - 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
A professional learning opportunity for leaders of learning: School leadership, Directors of Learning and Teaching, middle leaders and classroom educators
This professional learning opportunity is designed for leaders of learning who are focused on driving improved educational practice across their school.
Four catalysts for driving pedagogical improvement will be explored during two introductory workshops delivered by video conference using the Zoom platform.
1: Learning Design – nudging students beyond the learning of facts and skills.
We want our students’ learning to be enduring, enabling them to make sense of complexity now and in the future. For this to occur, we need to nudge students beyond the learning of facts and skills to uncover concepts—transferable ideas that transcend time, place, and situation. (Marschall, 2019, Edutopia, George Lucas, Educational Foundation, 9 Oct. 2019)
- This “catalyst” will investigate how we design learning where the educative purpose is on conceptual understanding and transfer.
2: Assessment for Learning
- The educational gains associated with formative assessment have been described as ‘among the largest ever reported for educational interventions’ OECD, 2017
- How do we effectively design and use assessment to gain insight into what our learners understand, know and can do, and engage learners in their learning?
3: The Australian Curriculum General Capabilities: Critical and Creative Thinking
- How might the explicit teaching and embedding of critical and creative thinking throughout learning encourage higher order thinking?
4: The National Literacy and Numeracy Learning Progressions
- How do we use the National Progressions to focus on our learners and their learning – to gain an understand of where my learners are now and to explore future learning opportunities to support their growth
Schools will select one of the catalysts to explore further in Term 4 within impact hubs and to drive and implement as a pedagogical pathway for improvement within the context of their school.
Impact hubs, as communities of practice, facilitate the sharing of expertise and opportunities to provide feedback and consider ways forward. Impact Hub meetings will be held via Zoom and dates will be negotiated.
Leadership teams across Foundation to Year 10.
Dates and times
Wednesday 13 August: Assessment and Task Design (10.00am to 12.30pm via Zoom)
Thursday 19 August: General Capability Critical and Creative Thinking and the National Literacy and Numeracy Learning Progressions (10.00am to 12.30pm via Zoom)
There is no fee to register for this event.