15th February, 2019 @ 12:00 am
15/02/2019 - All Day
Makers Empire in conjunction with AISSA is offering the Learning by Design blended professional learning course to AISSA schools at a significant discount for implementation Term 2, 2019.
Makers Empire’s 20-hour Learning by Design course encourages learning across STEM disciplines by supporting teachers to engage students in exciting, challenging learning connected to solving real-world challenges using Design Thinking. The course is designed to be delivered to groups of schools (minimum 10 schools per group) to maximise learning and provide teachers with a peer network for support and inspiration.
Students participating in Learning by Design will:
- meet achievement standards for The Australian Curriculum in terms of Design and Technologies: Knowledge and Understanding and Technologies: Processes and Production Skills.
Teachers participating in Learning by Design will:
- develop pedagogical approaches that enable students to develop deep technological knowledge as well as critical, creative and Design Thinking skills.
- be supported to design innovative learning programs that provide authentic, meaningful contexts for students to engage in STEM and maker-based learning using 3D design and printing.
- activate the potential of 3D technologies to develop and enhance students’ 21st century learning skills.
Workshop Day 1: Theory and Practice
- Why – Maker Pedagogy – Constructionism – the role ‘making’ plays in learning.
- How – Design Thinking (empathise, define, ideate, prototype, test) underpins the Australian Curriculum Design and Technologies subject, particularly in the Skills and Processes strand.
- What– Introducing 3D technologies and how 3D printers work.
Workshop Day 2: Designing and Constructing
- Workshopping the learning design
- Teachers testing their ideas
- Developing software design skills and production skills
Online, on demand professional learning after Day 2 workshop.
Showcase Day 3: Showcasing Student Designs
Students from Makers Empire Project schools across the state showcase their:
- design process
- 3D model.
Teachers of Years 2 to 6
The first professional learning workshop will be in early Term 2, 2019. The second professional learning workshop will be mid Term 2, 2019 and the Showcase will be later in Semester 2, 2019.
9.00am to 3.30pm
The $5,000 package in the first year includes:
- 2 days of professional learning for 2 or more teachers
- Makers Empire software for the whole school and
- 3 x 3D printers.
The cost of $1999 for the second year and subsequent years is for the Makers Empire software.
The cost for schools with 3D printers, $3,000 in year one and $1999 in year two.
Registrations should be made by 15 February 2019. Schools may register a team of up to 10 participants. Makers Empire will collect payment from registered schools
For further information please contact Monica Williams
Bookings are closed for this event.